Historical Buildings

La Motte boasts four provincial status (previously known as national) monuments - the Manor House (built in 1751), Jonkershuis (thought to have been built in 1752), Historic Cellar (built around 1782) and the Water Mill (erected between 1752 and 1793).

All the structures have been fully restored following the purchase of La Motte by Dr. Anton Rupert in 1970. The Water Mill, providing stone-ground flour for some of La Motte’s farm-baked products, is the only working water mill of its kind in the Franschhoek Valley.

A small, humble building, known as the Veepos (cattle post), dates back to the first half of the 18th century, while Hugenoterus, a cemetery reserved for burials of Franschhoek’s residents since the late 18th century, is a recently restored historic site on La Motte.

The Manor House
This building, originally a T-shaped farmhouse, was built in 1751, with an imposing front gable added in 1836. The pediment displays the initials of the then owner and his wife. After extensive renovations, the homestead was declared a National Monument in December 1975.

The Jonkershuis
Believed to be the second oldest building on La Motte, the Jonkershuis was erected circa 1752. Used originally as a stable, cowshed, chicken house and cellar, it eventually served as a dwelling. After extensive renovations it received National Monument status in 1975.

The Historic Cellar
The original cellar was built around 1782. About 40 years later, the centre gable, featuring the year 1825 as well as the initials of the then owner, Gideon JouBert (GJB) was added. After complete renovations, the cellar was declared a National Monument in 1975.

The Water Mill
Dating back to the period 1752 – 1793. It is the only working water mill of its kind in the Franschhoek Valley and still provides flour for farm-baked products on the estate. It can be seen in action during the Historic Walk on Wednesday mornings. After extensive renovations it was declared a National Monument in 1975.

The Veepos
Meaning “The cattle post”, the Veepos probably dates back to the first half of the 18th century. Its walls are built of stone up to ceiling height and blue-gum tree trunks serve as beams. The building was completely restored in 1992.

Hugenoterus Cemetery
This centuries-old resting place of the early residents of Franschhoek had been neglected to a point where it was almost beyond recognition when, thanks to clearing and restoration initiatives by the present La Motte management, this cemetery has regained its former dignity.

La Motte