Wines & Vineyards

Lanzerac Wine Estate is home to the world's first bottled Pinotage. Cellar Master Wynand Lategan has been in charge of making the Lanzerac range of award-winning wines since 2005. Together with his team the range of wines has been honed to maintain the the excellent quality that Lanzerac has become known for.

Lanzerac Keldermeester Versameling

Bergpad 

PROF

DOK

Lanzerac Heritage Range: 

Mrs. English 

Le General 

Pionier Pinotage 

Lanzerac Premium Range: 

MCC Brut 

Sauvignon Blanc 

Chardonnay 

Dry Rose 

Merlot 

Pinotage 

Cabernet Sauvignon 

Viticulturist

The passion and dedication that goes into tending Lanzerac’s vineyards is thanks to our viticulturist, Danie Malherbe, who has been at the helm at Lanzerac since 2008. Danie bases his success in the vineyards on his simplistic philosophy, which is respect, modesty and fairness. He firmly believes that by applying these three principles you’ll never be disappointed at the outcome. With this philosophy he is able to ensure quality vineyards through detailed planning, as well as implementing attainable goals and teamwork. When he’s not in the vineyards you’ll find Danie unwinding at home with his wife of seven years Jani, their son, Gideon Rossouw and their three furry companions, Leila, Rambo and Tessa.

Estate location

Lanzerac is located against the western foothills of Botmaskop in the Jonkershoek Valley, and comprises 150 hectares of which approximately 45 hectares are planted under vines, with the remaining 105 hectares left as mountainous fynbos.


Soil

The farm has rich and fertile Tukulu soils, with a lot of decomposed granite against the foothills of Botmaskop. Each vineyard’s soil is managed differently according to the varietal, soil type and the potential of both.

Altitude

Vineyards range from 100 – 500 meters above sea level and contains northerly and westerly facing slopes.


Vineyards

The age of the vineyards vary from newly planted in 2015 to 22 years. Since 2012 Lanzerac vineyards have been undergoing extensive new vineyard developments, as well as eradicating old (virus-infected) vineyards, with the biggest increase in Pinotage and Chardonnay plantings.


Vineyard Management

Our vineyards are irrigated, only if the rainfall is too low, from three dams on Lanzerac which accumulates water from mountain streams. 90% of our vineyards use drip irrigation on a scheduled programme, adapted according to daily temperatures and rainfall, whilst the remaining 10% of vineyards has micro irrigation systems. When a new vineyard is planted now, drip irrigation is always installed as a standard practice, as this method of irrigation uses the smallest quantity of water and thus preserves the environment the best way possible. Lanzerac’s vineyard practices are all aimed at achieving the perfect balance between healthy vines and low yields, to produce the best quality wines. Soil samples are taken every three years to determine the well-being of the soil, whilst leaf samples are analyzed annually to determine the type and quantity of fertilizers needed.


The Best Pinotage vineyard in Stellenbosch

In January 2016 Lanzerac won the the prize for the best Pinotage vineyard in the greater Stellenbosch region, a competition spearheaded by VinPro and regarded as the crème de la crème for viticulturists in the wine industry. This competition gives recognition to wine grape growers who apply the best viticultural practices in their vineyards, thus making a valuable contribution to the industry.


WHITE GRAPES

 (± 40%)
Chardonnay 8.27 ha
Sauvignon Blanc 1.82 ha
Pinot Blanc 1.07 ha


RED GRAPES

(± 60%)
Pinotage 9.19 ha
Merlot 6.22 ha
Cabernet Sauvignon 5.34 ha
Shiraz 3.48 ha
Petit Verdot: 1.2 ha
Malbec: 0.92 ha


Lanzerac Wine Estate
+27.218865641