Background


In the year 1681 Simon van der Stel, Governor of the Cape, granted land to Willem van Dieden and Pieter van der Westhuizen. This piece of land was to become known as Kronendal, on which one of the most famous and finest shaped Cape Dutch houses would be built.

The farm changed hands many times until the late 1700s, when it was acquired by Jacobus Lourens Bierman. In 1793 Johannes Guilliam van Heldsingen married the widow Bierman, and in 1800 enlarged the existing house to its present form. At this stage it was the main farmhouse for a winefarm that stretched from the top of Constantia Nek down to Hout Bay, near the sea. Constantia wines were made here until 1935, when the character of the valley changed, and fewer and fewer grapes were grown for wine making in the area, where table grapes are now dominant.

William Duckitt who was brought out as agricultural adviser to the Government, records in his journal the building of the present Homestead, thus confirming the date 1800 on the front gable. In 1840 the farm belonged to Daniel Cloete, who was amongst the first to plant table grapes in the Southern Cape.

In 1966, the property was purchased from the Van Rheede van Oudtshoorn family (whose history in the Cape begins in the year 1741, when Baron van Rheede van Oudtshoorn was sent here by the Dutch East India Company as Fiscal). Under the van Oudtshoorn family, Kronendal was restored to its former grandeur, and furnished with authentic period furniture.

The Kronendal name is a translation of the English words "crown" and "valley". In conjunction with the historical connection to winemaking in South Africa from its earliest days, the selection of this name for our wine stands for the quality of these specially selected products, supporting the name the "Crown of the Valley". The wines provide excellent quality, elegance, and tremendous value.

Kronendal Wines
+27 21 881-3810