Our History

In 1912, Nicolaas Lourens (Klaas) Jonker from the farm Goedemoed near Robertson, bought a tract of rugged, undeveloped land near Bonnievale to divide amongst his four sons. Adolph Johannes Jonker, the eldest of the four, commenced the development of what would become the present-day Mooiuitsig.

Owing to a lack of water, the cultivation vines and other perennial crops was only made possible subsequent to the construction of the smaller Brandvlei dam in 1923. Being well-suited to the cultivation of grapes, vineyard expansion resulted the subsequent demand for bigger and better cellars.

The lifelong dream of Adolph snr. to market his own wine under his own label came to fruition in 1947 with the establishment of the wholesale spirits company, Mooiuitsig Wineries Ltd, under his son, Nicolaas Lourens. This was also the year in which Nicolaas Lourens completed his degree in viticulture. The wholesale company consists of several cellars on the farm Mooiuitsig and distributes various products throughout South Africa.

Several other tracts of land were acquired to add to the Mooiuitsig dynasty.

Owing to the ever-increasing administrative duties that accompanied the acquisitions, the old cellar was converted into the Overberg Co-operative Wine Cellar. There grapes are converted to wine and then transferred to Mooiuitsig Cellars for further distilling and distribution.


Mooiuitsig
+27.236162143