Rupert & Rothschild Baroness Nadine 2004

Elegant , harmoniously balanced barrel-fermented Chardonnay. Aromas of orange blossom, pear and baked apple interact with touches of mango and vanilla forming a multilayered, complex bouquet. On the palate the wine displays intense concentration, depth and a rich creaminess. Hints of hazelnut complete the long mouthfeel.

Recommended with lobster bisque or tail of langoustine and mussels with freshly squeezed lemon.

variety : Chardonnay [ 100% Chardonnay. ]
winemaker : Schalk-Willem Joubert
wine of origin : Western Cape
analysis : alc : 13.5 % vol  rs : 2.0 g/l  pH : 3.51  ta : 4.9 g/l  
type : White  style : Dry  taste : Fruity   wooded
pack : Bottle  

ageing : 2-3 years from vintage.

in the vineyard : Cultivar: Chardonnay 100%.
Situation: Walker Bay, Darling.
Appellation: Western Cape.
Altitude: Average 250m.
Distance from sea: 25km.
Soil type: Gravel, decomposed sandstone and limestone.
Rootstock: R110, Mgt 101-14.
Age of vines: 6-8 years.
Trellising: 5 wire Perold trellis system.
Irrigation: Drip irrigation.

about the harvest: The grapes were harvested from mid February to end March 2004.
Method of harvesting: The grapes were hand-picked in 20kg bins.
Yield: 5 ton per hectare.

in the cellar : The grapes were sorted by hand and whole cluster pressed. Only the free-run juice from the press was used. 80% of the juice was fermented in French oak barrels. The remaining 20% was fermented in stainless steel tanks and blended back as a fresh component. 100% of the wine underwent malolactic fermentation. One-third of the wine was matured in new French oak barrels and the remainder in second fill barrels. The wine underwent battonage while on the primary lees for 10 months.

Ageing in Barrel: 14 months.
Oak type: 225 litre French oak barrels.
Blending: July 2005.
Bottled: September 2005.
Production: 2,500 cases 6x750ml.

find our wines in :

OTHER VINTAGES

Chardonnay
Chardonnay
Chardonnay
Chardonnay
Chardonnay
Chardonnay
Chardonnay
Chardonnay
Chardonnay
Chardonnay
Chardonnay
Chardonnay
Chardonnay
Chardonnay
Chardonnay
Chardonnay
Chardonnay
Chardonnay
Chardonnay