Middelvlei Pinotage/Merlot 1997

Please click here for information on our special Gift Packs


variety : Pinotage | 60% Pinotage 40% Merlot
winery : Middelvlei Wines
winemaker : Tinnie Momberg
wine of origin : Devon Valley
analysis : 
type : Red  style : Dry  body : Medium  taste : Fruity   wooded
pack : Bottle  closure : Cork  

AWARDS
Middelvlei Pinotage/Merlot 1997 subsequently garnered a Gold Medal at the S.A. Young Wine Show in the blends category.
in the vineyard :  Pinotage/Merlot 1997
The Pinotage grape is unique to South Africa and is derived from the noble Pinot Noir and Cinsault (formerly called Hermitage) varieties. The Mombergs are amongst the foremost producers of Pinotage wines.

At Middelvlei, 17 ha are devoted to Pinotage, planted at 3 704 per ha. The vines, grafted onto Richter 99 rootstock, were on average 29 years old in the vintage year. The vintage face west and are situated at an altitude of 160 m above sea-level. The vines, grown as bush vines, are severely pruned to inhibit their prolific growth.

The Merlot vines on Middelvlei are planted in a 19.1 ha block, at 3 704 vines per hectare. Planted in 1987, these trellised vines were 10 years old in the vintage year. They were grafted on rootstock Richter 99 and are situated at an altitude of 160 m above sea-level, facing southwest.

The entire 1996-97 season was very wet with an average rainfall of 809mm. The Merlot grapes were harvested by hand between on 26 March 1997, when the sugar level was 25° Balling.

about the harvest: The Pinotage grapes used in this superior blend were harvested between 5 and 18 March 1997, with the grapes at an average sugar level of 23.5 Balling. They were picked by hand between 06:00 and 18:00 and placed in small baskets to prevent bruising.

in the cellar : In the cellar, the juice of both varieties was fermented on the skins for 4 days in open cement tanks at 23° C. The yeast type used for inoculation was WE 372. The wines also underwent a secondary malolactic fermentation. After wood maturation, blending will take place in a ratio of 50% Pinotage to 50% Merlot. The wine will be in wood for a total of 12 months of which 20% is new, small oak and the remaining 80% in second-fill barrels.

find our wines in :

OTHER VINTAGES

Pinotage
Pinotage
Pinotage
Pinotage
Pinotage
Pinotage
Pinotage
Pinotage
Pinotage
Pinotage
Pinotage
Pinotage
Pinotage
Pinotage
Pinotage
Pinotage
Pinotage
Pinotage