Du Toitskloof Merlot 2011

Ripe mulberry and mint flavours mingle pleasantly with light smokiness from the oak. The palate is characterised by firm, ripe tannins and there is a hint of chocolate on the aftertaste.

Serve with pasta, roast beef, steak or smoked fish.

variety : Merlot | 100% Merlot
winemaker : Shawn Thomson &Chris Geldenhuys
wine of origin : Western Cape
analysis : alc : 14.12 % vol  rs : 4.2 g/l  pH : 3.42  ta : 6.0 g/l  so2 : 91 mg/l  fso2 : 46 mg/l  
type : Red  style : Dry  body : Medium  taste : Fruity   wooded
pack : Bottle  closure : Screwcap  

AWARDS
2013: Best Value 2013 - 3 Stars
Michelangelo CCL Label International Wine Awards 2012 - Gold

ageing : Enjoy now or drink within three years after bottling

in the vineyard : All the grapes for this wine came from within 5 km of the Du Toitskloof cellar. The vines, grafted onto Richter 99 and 110 rootstocks, grow in alluvial soils. Based on soil moisture levels, as measured by neutron hydrometers in the vineyards, controlled irrigation was applied, thereby also ensuring small berries with an excellent skin to fruit ratio, providing an intense colour and flavour spectrum. Leaf canopies were carefully managed to ensure the berries received adequate sunlight. Some 90% of the grapes came from trellised vineyards and the remaining 10% from bush vines.

about the harvest: The grapes were picked when they reached optimum physiological ripeness.

in the cellar : At the cellar the whole bunches were sorted on a sorting table, to ensure only the best bunches were used. Unlike other red cultivars the bunches are not de-stemmed, but are allowed to ferment whole in a process known as carbonic maceration. The juice was fermented for seven to eight days on the skins while the temperature was maintained at 24° and 25° C. The wine underwent malolactic fermentation and was aged in French oak for 10 months before bottling.

find our wines in :

OTHER VINTAGES

Merlot
Merlot
Merlot
Merlot
Merlot
Merlot
Merlot
Merlot
Merlot
Merlot
Merlot
Merlot
Merlot