Spier 21 Gables Pinotage 2010

Appearance: Opulent ruby colour with a vibrant red rim.
Flavors: The wine presents aromas of dark cherries and hints of caramelized orange. The palate surprises with rich layers of ripe cherries and liquorice. The wine's intense colour and tannin structure shows remarkable resistance to aging.

Serve with mature beef, rich venison dishes or strong cheese.

variety : Pinotage [ 100% Pinotage ]
winery : Spier Wine Farm
winemaker : Cellarmaster Frans Smit with Johan Jordaan
wine of origin : Stellenbosch
analysis : alc : 14.5 % vol  rs : 2.1 g/l  ta : 5.9 g/l  
type : Red  style : Dry   wooded
pack : Bottle  closure : Cork  

AWARDS
2013 Korean Wine Challenge - Gold Medal
2012 Veritas Wine Awards - Bronze Medal
2012 ABSA Pinotage Top 10 finalist
International Wine Challenge 2012 - Commended
Concours Mondial 2011 - Silver Medal
in the vineyard : Vineyard
The wine is produced from a trellised vineyard in unusually close proximity to the ocean. The cool false Bay breezes and rare terroir results in a Pinotage that is distinctive in style and bears 6 - 7 tons to the hectare.

Terroir
Origin:Stellenbosch
Soil:Swartland, Estcourt, Clovelly and Kroonstad
Average Temp:Winter: 9° - 16°C, Summer 14° - 27°C
Proximity to ocean: 20km
Annual Rainfall: 700mm

in the cellar : Grapes were pre-cooled in 8-10 kg lugboxes.
Grapes were hand sorted to remove green, pink and raisin berries. The wine was fermented in open top fermenters for 10 days between 24° and 26° C. Malolactic fermentation took place in the barrels and the wine was matured in 300 liter oak barrels for 20 months. 90% French Oak barrels were used, the remaining 10% was Hungarian Oak.

find our wines in :

OTHER VINTAGES

Pinotage
Pinotage
Pinotage
Pinotage
Pinotage
Pinotage