Verdun Chenin Blanc 1999

It is a bounteous wine, with flavours delicately balanced between melon fruit and creamy vanilla. The wine is full and rounded with a lingering soft lime tang.


variety : Chenin Blanc | Chenin Blanc
winemaker : Marius Lategan
wine of origin : 
analysis : alc : 13.5 % vol  rs : 4.6 g/l  pH : 3.20  ta : 7.6 g/l  

ageing : Serve chilled, now or over the next three years.

in the cellar : The Chenin Blanc vineyards of Verdun grow on carefully selected slopes in some of the best soils on the estate. Special attention given to our Chenin Blanc has resulted in the emergence of a serious Stellenbosch style wine. Verdun Chenin Blanc is a quality estate wine. Canopy management during the growth season and yield control before the ripening period has led to concentration of fruit and fullness of flavour.

The fruit was picked at full ripeness at 23 ° Balling and 30 % went wholebunch straight from the sorting table into the press. The remaining 70 % was destalked and lightly crushed prior to a 12 hour cool skin contact before pressing.

Two thirds of the juice was inoculated and placed in new, second and third fill small French oak barrels for fermentation and ageing. Battonage (stirring of the dead yeast cells) took place in the latter stages of primary fermentation on a twice a week basis. The wine spent 6 months on its healthy primary lees (dead yeast cells) which was stirred periodically.

One third of the juice was tank fermented at 13 °C to control the slow gentle process which encapsulates the necessary fruit finesse.

The final blend comprises of 70 % barrel fermented and aged wine and 30 % tank fermented wine.












find our wines in :

OTHER VINTAGES

Chenin Blanc
Chenin Blanc
Chenin Blanc