Middelvlei Cabernet Sauvignon 1999

Appearance:Deep ruby-red
Nose:Intense dark cherry and blackberry flavours
Palate: Medium-bodied, luscious fruit and subtle tannins with a lingering aftertaste.


variety : Cabernet Sauvignon | Cabernet Sauvignon
winery : Middelvlei Wines
winemaker : Tinnie Momberg
wine of origin : Devon Valley
analysis : alc : 12.9 % vol  pH : 3.79  ta : 5.3 g/l  
 wooded
pack : Bottle  closure : Cork  

AWARDS
Veritas 2002 - Bronze
Veritas 2003 - Bronze
in the vineyard : The grapes for the wine were derived from a 24 hectare vineyard, planted in 1977 and 1990 at 3 704 vines per hectare, and at an altitude of 160 m above sea-level. The vines, planted on a west-facing slope, are trellised in order to keep the grapes cool and healthy.

about the harvest: The rainfall during the winter before the vintage, as well as the growing season (September – December) was lower than the long-term figures. The annual rainfall was 663mm for the 1998/1999 season compared to the average annual rainfall of 734mm.The harvest took place between 30 March 1999 and2 April 1999. The grapes were picked by hand - at an average sugar level of 23,5° Balling - and placed in small baskets to prevent bruising.

in the cellar : In the cellar, the juice was given four days’ skin contact in open tanks. It was inoculated with yeast type WE 372 and left to ferment at 25° C. Secondary malolactic fermentation was completed on 20 April 1999.The wine was matured for 18 months in oak – 52% in new small French oak and the remaining 48% in second fill American oak barrels. The wine was bottled in February 2001.

find our wines in :

OTHER VINTAGES

Cabernet Sauvignon
Cabernet Sauvignon
Cabernet Sauvignon
Cabernet Sauvignon
Cabernet Sauvignon
Cabernet Sauvignon
Cabernet Sauvignon
Cabernet Sauvignon
Cabernet Sauvignon
Cabernet Sauvignon
Cabernet Sauvignon
Cabernet Sauvignon
Cabernet Sauvignon
Cabernet Sauvignon
Cabernet Sauvignon
Cabernet Sauvignon
Cabernet Sauvignon
Cabernet Sauvignon
Cabernet Sauvignon
Cabernet Sauvignon