Mulderbosch Steen op Hout 2004

Pale yellow in colour with a hint of green. On the nose, timed pineapples, guavas, litchi and lemon and lime aromas are abundant. A clean, lively wine with nuances of nutmeg and cloves. Well-balanced and elegant, but with weight and a powerful follow-through. Stylistically dry and lightly oaked this is an excellent food wine.

Serve at 12 – 15°C. Partner with shellfish; grilled tuna; grilled sardines; Thai green curry; lemon and herb roast chicken; vegetable stews; Bobotie – South African/Malay dish of baked savoury mince served with saffron rice; and biltong.

variety : Chenin Blanc | 100% Chenin Blanc
winemaker : Mike Dobrovic
wine of origin : Coastal
analysis : alc : 13.62 % vol  rs : 6.2 g/l  pH : 3.32  ta : 7.1 g/l  so2 : 128 mg/l  fso2 : 55 mg/l  
type : White  style : Dry   wooded
pack : Bottle  closure : Cork  

AWARDS
96 Vintage: SAA listing.
97 Vintage: **** Wine Magazine – February 1998 edition.
98 Vintage : **** Wine Magazine – February 1999 edition; judged a close second in the Wine Magazine’s 1999 Chenin Blanc Challenge out of the 91 wines submitted.
99 Vintage: *** Wine Magazine – February 2001 edition.
2001 Vintage: ***(*) Wine Magazine – February 2002 edition.
2002 Vintage: 88 / 100 in USA Wine Spectator – April 2003 edition.

ageing : Up to 8 – 10 years.

in the vineyard : Soil Type: Decomposed Malmesbury Shale
Age of vines: 42 years
Trellising: Bush vines
Vine Density: ± 3 400 vines / ha
Yield: 8 tonnes per hectare
Irrigation: Drip & dry land

about the harvest: Picking date: Mid February 2004
Grape Sugar: 23 - 25° Balling at harvest
Acidity: 7 - 9 g/l at harvest
pH at harvest: 3.2 – 3.4
Total production: 6 500 x 12

in the cellar : This individual new-wave Chenin was made from dry-land, low-crop, bush vines in the prime Koelenhof area of Stellenbosch. The grapes were harvested in the early morning to ensure coolness, crushed and lightly pressed; after which the must was cold settled before being inoculated with a select yeast culture. 93% Of the wine was tank fermented while the remaining 7% was fermented and matured for four months in New French Oak & second fill, American White Oak barrels. The wine was then blended, fined, lightly filtered and bottled.
Wood ageing: 7% in New French & American Oak.

find our wines in :

OTHER VINTAGES

Chenin Blanc
Chenin Blanc
Chenin Blanc
Chenin Blanc
Chenin Blanc
Chenin Blanc
Chenin Blanc