Mulderbosch Steen op Hout 2003

Pale yellow in colour with a hint of green. On the nose, lemon and lime aromas are abundant. A clean, lively wine with nuances of nutmeg and cloves. Well-balanced and elegant, but with weight and a powerful follow-through. Stylistically dry and lightly oaked this is an excellent food wine.

Serve at 12 – 15°C. Partner with shellfish; grilled tuna; grilled sardines; Thai green curry; lemon and herb roast chicken; vegetable stews; Bobotie – South African/Malay dish of baked savoury mince served with saffron rice; and biltong.

variety : Chenin Blanc | 100% Chenin Blanc
winemaker : Mike Dobrovic
wine of origin : Koelenhof, Stellenbosch
analysis : alc : 13.68 % vol  rs : 6.4 g/l  pH : 3.31  ta : 7.3 g/l  so2 : 140 mg/l  fso2 : 58 mg/l  
type : White  style : Off Dry   wooded
pack : Bottle  closure : Cork  

AWARDS
96 Vintage: SAA listing
97 Vintage: **** Wine Magazine – February 1998.
98 Vintage: **** Wine Magazine – February 1999; judged a close second in the Wine Magazine’s 1999 Chenin Blanc Challenge out of the 91 wines submitted.
99 Vintage: *** Wine Magazine – February 2001.
2001 Vintage: ***(*) Wine Magazine – February 2002.
2002 Vintage: 88 / 100 in USA Wine Spectator – April 2003.
in the vineyard : This individual new-wave Chenin was made from dry-land, low-crop, bush vines in the prime Koelenhof area of Stellenbosch.
Soil Type: Decomposed Malmesbury Shale
Age of vines: 41 years
Trellising: Bush vines
Vine Density: ± 3 400 vines / ha
Irrigation: Drip & dry land

about the harvest: The grapes were harvested in the early morning to ensure coolness.
Yield: 8 tonnes per hectare
Picking date: Mid-February 2003
Grape Sugar: 23 - 25° Balling
Acidity: 9 g/l
pH: 3.2

in the cellar : The grapes were crushed and lightly pressed; after which the must was cold settled before being innoculated with a select yeast culture. 78% of the wine was tank fermented while the remaining 22% was fermented in oak with its indigenous yeast.
It was matured for four months in 17% new French Oak and 5% 2nd-fill American White Oak, and then blended, fined, lightly filtered and bottled.
Fermentation temperature: 13 - 18°C
Total production (case of 12): 8 000 x 750ml

find our wines in :

OTHER VINTAGES

Chenin Blanc
Chenin Blanc
Chenin Blanc
Chenin Blanc
Chenin Blanc
Chenin Blanc
Chenin Blanc